Sunday, November 7, 2010

Photography, Music, and Falling Backwards

Well, I suppose I missed my technical blog post for the sixth, but I am going to post it now and post another later "today" (even though I haven't slept yet, so I don't count it as tomorrow yet).

Today was extremely fun for me as I got to do my first ever photo shoot. By photo shoot, I mean honest to goodness, on location, clothing changing photo shoot with my good friend Al Murin. We have been planning to do this shoot since sometime around late spring or early summer, and somehow issues popped up so that we had to keep on changing the date over and over again... This was going to be a last ditch effort before the snow starts flying and we had to give up until spring next year.


While the air had a chill to it, the skies were clear and sunny and the light worked out perfectly for us. In fact, he never even had to use a light and almost every shot is usable without even artistic photo editing. I wore the garb I wear at the Renaissance Faire in some of the shots and clothes I thought would look nice for the others, and they turned out better than I could hope for.

I guess somewhere deep inside me still exists that awkward girl from middle and high school that never had dates and boys would steer clear of. Though I try to stamp out this "unworthy" self-image, somehow I find it creeping up on me at the worst of times and I feared that today I would have my fears realized when every picture transformed me into a hideous monster.

It wasn't at all like that. Here are a few of my favorite shots.






We ended up using all of the light that we could squeeze out of the day, and I was late to meet up with my friend Krix. After finally getting my butt home, Krix, my fiancĂ© and I went out to meet up with my friend Chris Kohn out at The Armory for his gig. Chris is an amazingly talented guitar player and singer who I had the pleasure of meeting at a local coffee shop and fell in love with his talent. If you get a chance, you should check out some of his original music on Chris Kohn's Facebook Page and believe me, you won't be disappointed. What disappoints me, however, is that it's been so long since I was able to go and check out one of his shows. I'll be seeing him again just before Thanksgiving for a gig at The Speakeasy, where I'll be doing some singing with him. He's promised to help me learn to play guitar... With a teaching career, a new baby, and a career in music, I doubt this will happen but I'll just keep holding out hope.

All in all it was an amazing day, if I subtract the semi-crappy food and VERY crappy service at Denny's after the gig. I'm not going to let that get me down though. The positive kicked the negative's ass today, especially once I realized that I'm pretty.


Much love to all. See you when it's really tomorrow, and set your clocks backwards, kids.

2 comments:

  1. These look so much better on a black background. Sorry we ran so long on the time, but it was an amazing afternoon. You aren't just pretty, Naomi. you're beautiful. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just boggles my mind that you don't see how gosh-darned pretty you are. But then, that might be part of what makes you so fine and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete