Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Growing Up Too Fast and Totally Straight

The title, as per usual, is not what it seems.

Today I voted straight Democrat on my voting card, and I don't feel bad about it at all. One man in line decided to challenge my decision by saying that he can't believe that "our president wouldn't swear on a bible, wouldn't put his hand over his heart, and refuses to wear an American flag pin... Muslim." Well. Perfect. I answered that I also would not swear on a bible because I myself am not Christian. He pretty much shut up after that. Not really my intention, but I think he figured out he wasn't going to sway my vote just before I polled with the rest of the sane Americans left in the country.

I didn't decide to write that because I want some great debate or because I think the guy is stupid or anything like that, I just wanted to mention that I did in fact exercise my right to vote as a woman, as an American, and as someone who wants to be able to bitch when and if the country goes to shit.

I don't like it when people who refuse to vote think that they have a right to stretch their vocal chords on bitching about how bad the state of Politics happens to be. If you didn't use your voice when it mattered, then shut the hell up.

My daughter is growing up too fast... and I am not talking about how she is bringing up boys too soon, or wanting to wear bras, or that the media is swaying her into being older than she is... I mean, they are, but the issue here is her bone age. My daughter is nine and has eleven year old bones. We don't know why this is, all we know are two words; Precocious Puberty. This is the preliminary diagnosis for a girl who is growing out of her shoes, and has growing pains that wake her at night.

Tomorrow we meet with a Pediatric Endocrinologist to find out what we can do to slow the process of her bone aging down so that she doesn't stunt herself by her growth plates closing off too soon. I want the kid to be at least 5'4" which is two inches taller than me. I don't think it's too much to ask, really.

So I really wanted to do the NaNoWriMo this month, but I am already a day behind... how does that work exactly? Can I still start? Do I really need a month that tells me I should? If I am so inclined, I will probably write tonight anyway, just to get something down. While the blog is a nice outlet for practice writing random things, I'd really like a separate focus. I hope that all you NaBloPoMo's and NaNoWriMo's are working hard at what you do. Roll on brothers and sisters. Much love.

1 comment:

  1. "NaBloPoMo's and NaNoWriMo's "

    I have no clue what you mean. Oh wait, was there something about National Blog Month you said the other day? Never mind. Just wanted to wish you and her something fruitful out of your appointment.

    ReplyDelete