Friday, January 21, 2011

Fantastikal? We'll see, I suppose.

It's getting to be that time of year again, where auditions for Ren Faire are coming back around and I am going back to try for Fantastikals (which has been my promise to myself to keep trying until I either make it or until I just get so depressed from NOT making it that I stop trying). I have been looking into some things for my movement piece as suggested by a friend called "Eurythmy". I know, it sounds like Annie Lennox should be giving me lessons, but alas, it has nothing at all to do with shaving my head and dying the stubble bright pink... or singing about "Sweet Dreams". Sorry to disappoint.

Eurythmy is a way to make sounds into movement. You use your body to express sounds, words, sentences. It is also used to better communicate with children at play as it is natural for them to use their whole bodies to express words that they use. I think that this is a wonderful way to practice for auditions because really, it is what a Fantastikal does.

Because I know the question will come up eventually, I decided to sit and really think about what makes me want to be a Fantastikal. I guess at first it was my love and fascination with Fae, my inner desire to be looked upon as a graceful creature, and my want to be something more than human for once. After really considering it late into the nights (and usually into early morning lately) I think I would like to use it as an opportunity to better myself, and strengthen my relationship with my own children. To be able to share with them a kind of quiet peace and play without words. I would love to see what kind of communicating we can do with only our bodies as a voice. I want to know that which is still in their hearts that I may have outgrown.

I am going to try again, and hopefully succeed. I am going to commit my body to communicating a message in my audition, to tell a story, and to get the part. I am going to do my best, because it is all I know how to do.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you made it!
    I'm thinking about auditioning next summer ('12).
    Could write a post about the audition? It would be so great to hear how the process went!
    Good luck!

    p.s. I posted a comment earlier, but I don't know if it worked so sorry if this is a double!

    ReplyDelete